Choose or Lose EQ Cards
Use: There are many exercises you can do with “Choose or Lose” that are foundational for building emotional intelligence. For example, you can assess a recent decision to identify the patterns you followed in your reaction. You simply select cards that match your thoughts, feelings, and actions during the decision, and then follow a process to examine those choices. The tool helps clarify the components of decision-making, shows the links between thought, feeling, and action, and increases awareness of patterns.
- recognize patterns – observe typical responses
- evaluate a decision / consequential thinking – identify the costs & benefits of a reaction
- enhance emotional literacy – learn more feeling vocab, see what might trigger feelings
- Think of a difficult situation
- Choose a card that represents how you were thinking, feeling, and what you did
- Brief discussion of that set – how did it work?
- If you are in a similar situation again, is there one of these you’d like to change, one you’d like to have different?
- If you change that one, how might it affect either of the others? (repeat)
- How might this new set work out?
- What’s one action step you can take now to help you move toward that new set for the future?